What countries in Europe do Australians need a visa for?

Australians are fortunate enough not to need a visa to enter most of the popular travel destinations in Europe.

Below are a list of countries in which Australian’s do not need visa’s to enter:

  • The United Kingdom, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Obviously you are only allowed to enter for tourism and cannot undertake any kind of paid work. Australia actually has reciprocal working holiday agreements with many of these countries, so if you would like to work in one of these countries, check our Visa Services for US, Canadian, French or Japanese Working Holidays

United Kingdom
Australian’s are allowed to enter the UK for tourist or business and stay up to six months. However customs officers are well within their rights to refuse entry into the UK if they believe that your intention is to undertake paid or unpaid work. If you are refused entry into the UK, then you may be required to return to Australia. If you do seek to work in the UK, then there may be options for other work visa’s with the most popular being the tier 5 working holiday visa.

Apart from the UK, the other countries listed above, fall under the Schengen Convention. The Schengen convention was created to encourage tourism throughout Europe. Australians can spend less than 90 days throughout an 180 day period in the Schengen area which is spread from France to Germany.

If you wish to stay for longer than 90 days, contact your local Consulate to find out which visa suits you best.

Please be aware that  the following countries are not part of the Schengen Agreement: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia and Ukraine are not part of the Schengen area, so you may need a visa to travel. You should contact your local Consulate to find out what visa suits you best.

Profile Photo


Contact Information

Address: 2 Davenport Street - Southport, QLD 4215
Phone: 1300 854 443
Skype: travelleronline
Email: info@travelleronline.com.au